Wednesday, August 11, 2010

End-O-Summer Thoughts and Quotes

Heat, ma'am! it was so dreadful here, that I found there was nothing left for it but to take off my flesh and sit in my bones. ~Sydney Smith, Lady Holland's Memoir

  • The wedding was great! I was very pleased with how everything turned out. One guest is said to have remarked, "This feels just like a movie! And you know what? We're all in it!"

If a June night could talk, it would probably boast it invented romance. ~Bern Williams


  • I gained some cool new silver-soldering skills working at Mathew's Gallery in Wichita! It's been great to work alongside new Christian friends.

  • Actually visiting parents and inlaws is a new experience for me! It's a little strange, but I like it!

  • Tim must be a family man now because he "...traded in his Mustang for a minivan (actually a Volkswagon Jetta with 4 doors)" I'd like to point out that it was Tim's idea originally. We both are happy with its practicality... and the fact that it could kick the Mustang's butt in a race anyday!

Whatever was required to be done, the Circumlocution Office was beforehand with all the public departments in the art of perceiving--HOW NOT TO DO IT.

~Dickens, Little Dorrit

  • I've been fighting my way through the bureaucracy of name-changing in 100 degree weather. After driving all the way downtown and parking in a 75 cent parking garage (I'd like to mention that since it was my third time there, I finally figured out where to park!) ...and after getting through the Wichita Courthouse's metal detectors (this time without my pocketknife) I was told that the social security department isn't in the courthouse, but in an office back on the other side of town... When I finally got there, after driving a few loops, (first missing the street, then the building) I was told to take a number and sit down. I sat down, dazed, among a 50-person crowded waiting room. Needless to say, it was a 50 minute wait.

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

  • School is about to start! Tim is returning to Butler to get a degree, while I am transfering to WSU. Things will be a little crazy for a while. Tim is currently working 2nd shift while I work first. When school starts, he'll be a full time student and work full time (tee-hee! I accidentally typed "Wok full time" ...man, I wish!) In October, we'll switch things up a bit when Tim has to work 3rd shift. We're praying that that will work out okay with minimal stress!

Then followed that beautiful season... Summer....Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light; and the landscapeLay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood.

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. Love the Little Dorrit quote!

MagenRanae said...

Ahh...I "traded in my mustang for a minivan" too. Only, my minivan is a family sized buick lasabre. I wish I could say it could beat a 'stang in a race!