Monday, October 6, 2008

Fall Happenings

Halfway through every season, I wish it were the next. This feeling's always strongest, though, towards the end of summer. Maybe it's because a lot of interesting things happen in the fall; I don't know.
  • Almost every year, the beginning of July marks the beginning of the next round of my endless battle against the squash bugs. Casualties are high on both ends, the squash bugs (or SB as I will refer to them from now on, not because it saves much time, but because I may sound a bit cooler) the SB losing comrades by the hundreds, and me only benefiting from approximately 1/20th of the pumpkin seeds. The SB are killed prematurely by getting scraped off the underside of leaves ("Gross! The eggs are under my nails!") or poisoned by bug powder ("Oh, Seven! You are the last word when it comes to bug poisons!") or killed manually by my thumb and forefinger. ("Hey! Their guts must smell like some sort of fruity body spray!) Don't worry, I never actually got close enough to find out what they really smelled like, let alone rubbed their seductive odors on me, as many of you would have done in my place. Anyway, the SB have killed the root of the last plant, but I was left with five survivors, a little premature, but still fine-looking pumpkins.

  • I am well into the routine of school, and with all the small things to look foreward to, time flies until after the holidays. October Madness is one of the things I associate with the cooler weather and the changing leaves. On a typical year, by the time October comes around, every weekend in my calendar is booked with one event or another... or both. This year, I am out of high school, and not tied down by a zillion activities. Although I miss the activities themselves, I'm glad I have more time in this month for other things. 1. Next weekend, Tim, Jon, and I will travel to visit Charles in Fayetteville, Arkansas. 2. When we get back, it'll be fall break, and I'll have a couple days off school. 3. As soon as school comes back, my cousin comes to visit her Kansas relatives! 4. Before it's time for her to go back, The Kansas Bible Camp retreat starts, and I will be attending that. 4. I will have time to come home and take a nap before I have a very important date* 5. On Friday the 31st, I (Lord willing) will have an awesome Halloween party.

  • Last, I guess, it's the season of my birthday. When I was little, I associated autum and Halloween with my birthday and got over-excited about them all. Although all the things that made me excited when I was younger (birthday parties, school parties, and trick-or-treating) don't affect me anymore, I still associate this time of year with that same childish excitement. I see red berries growing on our small tree, and I have to show someone. "Here, Tim! Eat this poison berry, and I'll pay you three cents!" I go to walmart for a toothbrush, and I have to walk through the halloween aisle to see the different costumes. And, on my birthday, although Dale looks down at her odometer saying, "Look! 666! The devil's number! (gasp!) and it's the devil's birthday too! ...and I have to buy her a present!" and though I have dinner with my family instead of a slumber party, and although instead of a regular happy birthday song, I get my whole family singing "HallowEEEEN is my birthday...." in their highest, squeekiest voices,** I still get excited about it, and treat it as if it's a special day. And in the end, that excitement usually makes it one.
*Details I will Divulge despues (The Spanish slipped out, and I left it there because I couldn't resist the alliteration. If you have any other D suggestions, please comment)
** Source: the CREEPIEST SHOW EVER

No comments: